The Ultimate Sandwich Bread Recipe!
Glenadine’s Ultimate Light Wheat Bread
My favorite sandwich bread recipe came from a really sweet lady. Her name is Glenadine and she spent a whole day teaching three young moms how to make bread. My family is grateful for her willingness to share her knowledge and time! This is her awesome light sandwich bread recipe which I use in my terracotta bread pans. Clay bread pans reproduce the effect you get from a brick oven. Makes a crispy, crackly crust, and moist, chewy interior.
Light wheat sandwich bread recipe
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour
- 3 cups white bread flour
- 1 tab. yeast
- 1 salt
- 1/3 cup of honey (or sugar)
- 3 tab butter- softened
- 1 1/3 cup warm water
- You may also add 1/4 cup flax or bran
I use a kitchen aid mixer to make the dough, putting warm water and yeast in first and allowing the yeast to sit for a minute or two. Add salt, honey, and flour mixing until dough forms a ball. Continue to mix for 2 minutes. Take dough out of mixing bowl and oil bowl placing dough back into mixing bowl and turning to coat. Allow dough to rise until doubled in a warm location. Dump dough onto counter and divide, forming two balls of dough. Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes. pat dough into rectangle and roll up short ends forming a log; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down into greased (I use butter) pan; allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350, bake bread for 18-20 minutes.
Care and storage of your bread pan:
- Butter your pan before each use; a nice patina will develop over time.
- Don’t soak your pan in water before use;
- Protect your pan from extreme temperatures. Never put it in the freezer; don’t transfer the pan from refrigerator to a hot oven, or vice versa; and let the pan cool before washing.
- Your pan is suitable for oven temperatures up to 450° F; putting your room-temperature pan into a preheated oven is fine.
- Don’t use your pan under a broiler, or on the stove top.
- Finally, protect your kitchen table and counter from scratches; it’s recommended you set your stoneware pan on a trivet when it’s not in the oven.
Roasted Chicken Recipe with Sage, Tarragon & Lime recipe is my new favorite go to dish.
Summer Hollow Pottery's Pottery Clay Bread Pan are made of the finest terracotta clay available and are ideal for baking breads. Baking bread in an unglazed clay cooker results in a crisp, shiny crust you may have only thought possible in a baker's brick oven. The...
This Asiago Bread recipe is yummy and easy. If it is baked in one of my bread bowls it will make two loaves. I have found that I can mix bread one day and have enough dough for multiple days of bread, depending on the recipe, if I place 1/2 of the dough into a oiled...